A step-by-step guide to vehicle ownership transfer
The transfer of vehicle ownership in Dubai can be a stressful and overwhelming task, especially if you are new to the process. However, if guided and prepared right, the entire affair can be smoothly taken care of in the following steps:
- Have the Required documents
- Get a No Objection Certificate (NOC)
- The transfer of ownership at the RTA
- Updating the insurance and renewing registration
“Thankfully, in the UAE, the paperwork related to buying a car is rather swift. This means one can transfer car ownership in the UAE without hassle.”
Step 1: Have the Required documents
The process doesn’t start till you don’t have all the documents that are needed to transfer ownership. Make sure you obtain the following before beginning:
- Emirates ID of both the buyer and seller
- Original vehicle registration card (Mulkiya)
- Sale agreement
- Insurance certificate
- Vehicle inspection certificate
- Clearance certificate (if required)
Note that all the documents have to be original and valid at the time of transfer even the inspection and clearance certificates.
Step 2: Get a No Objection Certificate (NOC)
If a bank or some financial institution is financing the vehicle, the seller needs to get a NOC from the bank to go on with the transfer. NOC is a document that confirms that the bank has no objection to the sale of the vehicle. One can’t complete the transfer without obtaining this document.
Step 3: The transfer of ownership at the RTA
The process of transferring ownership takes place at the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in Dubai. Both parties (the seller and buyer) must both be present to undertake the following steps:
- Submission of all the necessary documents to the RTA officer.
- The verification of the documents and close examination of the vehicle by the officer.
- Payment of the transfer fee by the buyer that’s normally 5% of the vehicle’s value.
- Receiving of the payment by the seller either in cash or through bank transfer.
- Issuing of a new registration card (Mulkiya) in the name of the buyer by the RTA officer.
Step 4: Updating the insurance and renewing registration
Once done with the transfer process, the buyer has to update the insurance policy to reflect the change in ownership. One can contact one’s insurance provider and help them with the new registration card.
Furthermore, the buyer is expected to renew the registration of the vehicle every year to avoid any fines and legal issues.
The transfer fee involved
Transferring car ownership involves payment of several fees based on the value of the vehicle. You can also expect additional charges like clearance certificate fees or vehicle inspection charges. Having a better understanding of the costs will give you an idea of your overall budget while planning an ownership transfer.
|Transfer fee||5% of vehicle’s value|
|Knowledge fee||AED 20 per transaction|
|Innovation fee||AED 10 per transaction|
|Service charge||AED 10 per transaction|
|Clearance fee||Varies based on inspection|
Smooth Transfer of Ownership: Pro tips
Planning to transfer vehicle ownership in Dubai? While it can be overwhelming, these tips can help make the process smooth for you:
- Make certain you have all the documents and that they are valid and in order before going to the RTA.
- The process can take several hours so schedule accordingly.
- A copy of the sale agreement may be required by the RTA officer so carry it.
- To avoid longer wait times, don’t schedule the ownership process during peak hours.
- Make sure to conduct the transaction either at the RTA or through a reputable dealership only to keep off scams and fraud.
Vehicle ownership transfer in Dubai made easy
While transferring ownership of a vehicle can seem daunting, don’t be intimidated by it. Following the right tips can make it a simple process. With the steps outlined above, be sure of a smooth and hassle-free ownership transfer of your vehicle.
Well now that you now how to transfer the ownership of your car, you might be wondering what to drive next? Perhaps, a simple answer to that would be to rent a sports car for a week or for an extended period of time. This is a more convenient and reliable option, as compared to buying another new vehicle.